FRC: A book from the year you were born
This was a fun category!
- The Books of the Century A list year by year of best sellers, significant and award winning books.
- Goodreads has lists for many years. Google “best books of xxxx” and it will probably be the first entry to come up.
- Hawes Publications New York Times Bestseller lists Lists back to 1950. Also has the Number Ones for each year.
- In the library, check out 1001 Books to Read Before You Die, arranged by year, and located next to the Lending Desk.
- Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with the year you were born, and I will send you a list of books published that year.
It was hard to choose a book! I was born in 1963, and there are a lot of great choices from that year. The last book sale had a Reader’s Digest Condensed Best Sellers volume from 1963, featuring To Kill a Mockingbird, which was actually published in 1961. I decided not to read the the condensed volume but I’m keeping it for the cool illustrations. And speaking of cool illustrations, I am absolutely rereading I am a Bunny, which I had as a child. Also, Where the Wild Things Are. But it seems too early in the process for the picture book card, so here’s my short list:
- Sailor who fell from grace with the sea
- The Bell Jar
- Girls of Slender Means (Muriel Spark)
- The Clocks (Agatha Christie)
- The Fire Next Time
- Glassblowers (Daphne DuMaurier)
The Library also has a Sixties Reader with short writings and excerpts including Letters from a Birmingham Jail written by Dr. King in 1963, which I am adding to my list.
What I Read:
Nothing yet. I can’t decide! On to the next category: Road Trip!!