Genealogy and Local History Services
The Local History Room is open by appointment. Appointments can be made to access the materials by calling the Reference Desk at 333-6640, Ext. 4.
Online Genealogy Resources
We now have two online resources for genealogy research.
- Ancestry Library Edition (In Library Use Only)
- Heritage Quest (use from home with your library barcode)
The Library will conduct the following types of searches for patrons who cannot visit in person:
a) Lewiston-Auburn daily newspapers (1861 to the present): obituaries, birth announcements, death announcements, and newspaper articles
Unfortunately, there is no index for the backfiles of the Lewiston-Auburn newspapers. This means you must be able to supply us with the approximate date, within four to five days, of when the item you are requesting appeared. Due to time constraints, we cannot search back issues of the newspaper beyond a 5-day range.
b) Edward Little High School Yearbooks (1928 to the present)
c) Lewiston-Auburn City Directories (1860 to the present)
The charge for all searches is $5.00 per item requested. This is a search fee and is non-refundable in the event we are unable to locate the item.
Due to time constraints, the library cannot conduct in-depth genealogical and local history research for patrons. Requests that exceed the scope of those above will be returned unprocessed.
To place a search request:
Search requests will be accepted via U.S. mail only; requests submitted via e-mail will not be processed.
1) You must include a self-addressed stamped envelop (SASE) with your request. Requests sent without a SASE will not be processed and your payment will be forfeited.
2) You must include full payment with your request. We will accept personal checks or money orders only. Please make personal checks payable to Auburn Public Library.
3) Please mail your request (with your payment and SASE) to:
Genealogy and Local History Searches
Auburn Public Library
49 Spring Street
Auburn, ME 04210
Please allow 4-6 weeks for fulfillment of your request.
The quality of copies produced from newspaper back issues on microfilm varies widely. We guarantee only that copies produced will be legible.