APL Online Resources
You can now register online for a library card to use online services, if you are a resident of Auburn, Lewiston, or Minot. The card will be mailed to you. To activate the card for borrowing, please visit the library and present a current ID.
Visit our digital branch, LibraryLA.org, for all of our online services!
We now have two online resources for genealogy research. Both can be accessed by linking to the Digital Maine Library.
- Ancestry Library Edition (In Library Use Only)
- My Heritage (Use from home by allowing geolocation or with your library barcode)
We also have two online language learning options.
- Mango Languages online language-learning system!
Learning a new language is free when you sign in with your APL card. Each lesson combines real life situations and audio from native speakers with simple, clear instructions and an appreciation for cultural nuance and real-world application. Learn actual conversation, either a few basic phrases or in depth! Over 60 language courses available, including English for non-English speakers.
- Pronounciator, available through the Digital Maine Library.
Digital Maine Library
Thousands of magazines, newspapers, and reference books are available anywhere in the State of Maine through the online resources of Digital Maine Library, a service of Maine Infonet. Access by allowing the site to use your location or with your library card.
- LearningExpress Library is an interactive online learning platform featuring over 770 practice tests, tutorials, and eBooks related to job search and workplace skills improvement, career certification and licensing exam preparation, college entrance and graduate school admissions exam preparation, GED exam preparation, and basic skills improvement in reading, writing, and math, for all ages. Access through Digital Maine Library and select LearningExpress Library from the dropdown menu.
- The Wall Street Journal, a daily business and financial newspaper with high marks for factual reporting. It has a focus upon business and economy but often reports on related topics in politics, arts and world events.
Download ebooks and eAudiobooks through the Cloud Library. The Cloud Library works best through an app. Click the link to download the appropriate app for your device: https://www.yourcloudlibrary.com/.
The popular on-demand film streaming service Kanopy is now available for free. Library card holders can access Kanopy and sign up to start streaming films on instantly by visiting http://auburnpl.kanopy.com/. Films can be streamed from any computer, television, mobile device or platform by downloading the Kanopy app for iOS, Android, AppleTV, Chromecast or Roku.
Includes practice tests for cars, motorcycles and commercial driving, plus the official Maine handbooks.
Internet Links by Subject
Internet resources recommended by our librarians.
Other Libraries & Catalogs
- APL-Minerva-Maine InfoNet – Search for materials owned by Auburn Public Library and other libraries in Maine.
- Maine Serials List (for who owns which magazines and newspapers)
- Maine State Library Special Collections
- Maine Library Directories
- Maine Libraries: Something for Everyone (for programs and events)
- WorldCat – Search for library materials not found in APL-Minerva-Maine InfoNet (these may be available via Interlibrary Loan)
- CityLink (Purple Bus)
- Western Maine Transportation Services
- USM’s Franco-American Collection
- Androscoggin Historical Society
- Maine Historical Society
- Maine Memory Network
- MSL’s Famous Mainers
- Maine Legislators’ Bio. Database
- Google news Archive Search (use to search for articles from old newspapers, including local ones)
- Suggested web sites from the Maine State Library
- Maine Writers Index
- Maine Encyclopedia