APL Online Resources
You can now register online for a library card to use online services, if you are a resident of Auburn, Lewiston, or Minot. The card will be mailed to you. To activate the card for borrowing, please visit the library and present a current ID.
We now have two online resources for genealogy research.
- Ancestry Library Edition (In Library Use Only)
- Heritage Quest (use from home with your library barcode)
Mango Languages online language-learning system! Learning a new language is free when you sign in with your APL card. Each lesson combines real life situations and audio from native speakers with simple, clear instructions and an appreciation for cultural nuance and real-world application. Learn actual conversation, either a few basic phrases or in depth! Over 60 language courses available, including English for non-English speakers.
SELF-E: Indie authors, submit your ebooks and find new readers! Readers, discover new local authors! More information here.
MARVEL! Maine’s Virtual Library
Thousands of magazines, newspapers, and reference books are available anywhere in the State of Maine through the online resources of MARVEL!Maine’s virtual library, a service of Maine Infonet.
- LearningExpress Library is an interactive online learning platform featuring over 770 practice tests, tutorials, and eBooks related to job search and workplace skills improvement, career certification and licensing exam preparation, college entrance and graduate school admissions exam preparation, GED exam preparation, and basic skills improvement in reading, writing, and math, for all ages. Access through MARVEL! and select LearningExpress Library from the dropdown menu.
Includes practice tests for cars, motorcycles and commercial driving, plus the official Maine handbooks.
Internet Links by Subject
Internet resources recommended by our librarians.
Other Libraries & Catalogs
- APL-Minerva-Maine InfoNet – Search for materials owned by Auburn Public Library and other libraries in Maine.
- Maine Serials List (for who owns which magazines and newspapers)
- Maine Manuscript Collections (searchable database)
- Maine Library Directories
- Maine Libraries: Something for Everyone (for programs and events)
- WorldCat – Search for library materials not found in APL-Minerva-Maine InfoNet (these may be available via Interlibrary Loan)
- CityLink (Purple Bus)
- Western Maine Transportation Services
- USM’s Franco-American Collection
- Androscoggin Historical Society
- Maine Historical Society
- Maine Memory Network
- MSL’s Famous Mainers
- Maine Legislators Bio. Database
- Google news Archive Search (use to search for articles from old newspapers, including local ones)
- Maine Answers Tough Times
- Maine Writers Index
- Portland Press Herald’s Literary Map of Maine
- Maine Encyclopedia