SELF-e Indie Writers Workshops
Auburn Public Library and Lewiston Public Library will be working together to present programs to help authors and aspiring authors self publish their work!
The SELF-e Indie Writers Workshops are part of an ongoing joint effort by the libraries to support local writers and promote SELF-e, the new library service that allows any Lewiston or Auburn Public Library cardholder to publish their original ebooks through the libraries. Additional events will be announced in the coming months, along with opportunities for writers to upload their work to SELF-e with the help of trained librarians.
Workshops with Melissa Walshe
These workshops will be taught by instructor Melissa Walshe, who published her first book, Autumn’s Daughter, in 2014 and will soon be releasing the sequel, Autumn’s Sister. She is a professional copywriter for shines & jecker laboratories, where she is currently developing the website readmaine.com. She has an Ed.M. in language and literacy from the Harvard Graduate School of Education and a B.A. in linguistics from the University of Southern Maine.
All sessions will take place on Fridays from 3-4 PM. You do not need to attend all of the sessions.
- January 22 – LPL
- Self-publishing musts – Steps you really shouldn’t skip if you want your book to have a chance of being taken seriously
- February 19 – APL
- Research for writing genre fiction – Why it matters and how to do it
- March 18 – LPL
- Formatting ebooks – How to turn a manuscript from a Word document into a readable, navigable ebook
- April 22 – APL
- Character development – Writing more compelling heroes
- May 20 –LPL
- Author brand building online – Tips and tricks for building a better online brand that speaks to your actual audience
Maine Writers and Publishers Alliance Workshops
The Auburn Public Library is pleased to collaborate with the Maine Writers and Publishers Alliance in presenting workshops held at APL. We will add events as they are finalized.
BEHIND-THE-BOOK: A Presentation on the Business of Writing
Instructor: Celia Johnson
Date & Time: Saturday, March 5 | 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Location: Auburn Public Library
Please register at the MWPA web site. There is a $5 charge for non-members to attend, but there are several scholarships for Auburn and Lewiston residents.