Tax Forms and Information
The Auburn Public Library requests from the Internal Revenue Service individual tax forms — Form 1040 and Form 1040-SR — along with Form 1040 and Form 1040-SR Instructions each year. The 2021 federal forms are now available, on a first-come, first served basis. (Just come up to the 2nd floor.) If you prefer curbside, when you arrive at the library, please contact the Reference Desk at 207-333-6640, ext. 4.
We no longer receive any supplemental forms and Schedules from the IRS, but they are available for downloading and printing on the IRS website (click on Forms and Publications, below). For customers who cannot access a printer, we will print individual schedules and forms for free. If a customer would like the corresponding instructions for the supplemental forms and schedules, we can print them at the rate of .10 cents per page.
The State of Maine no longer distributes Form 1040ME, nor Instructions for same. Again, customers may access the forms online as referenced below; if a customer needs a print copy but has no access to a printer they may request us to print Form 1040ME; if requested, we will print the corresponding instructions at the expense of the customer — .10 cents per page.
The Internal Revenue Service is encouraging taxpayers to use IRS online tools if possible so that individuals may keep themselves safe as the pandemic continues.
Here are some resources to find the forms and information you need.
Maine Revenue Service
Maine state tax forms are available for download via the link below; order online using the Maine Revenue Services Electronic Request Form; call the forms line at 207-624-7894 (leave your name and mailing address); or write to Maine Revenue Services, P.O. Box 9107, Augusta, ME 04332-9107.
- Maine State Forms and Publications
- Unemployment and Taxes
- The Maine Department of Revenue website includes two means of electronic filing:
- I-FILE – File your State of Maine Tax return online for free with I-File. You fill out the information, and they do the calculations.
- E-File – File using a participating preparer, purchase commercial software or a commercial web site. Most of these options offer direct deposit of your refund, electronic funds withdrawal for a balance due return and even delayed debit.
- Refund Status: Check the status of your Personal Income Tax (1040) Refund
- Maine Revenue Services offers income tax credits and property tax programs, including
- Maine Property Tax Fairness Credit
- Homestead Exemption Application
- Renewable Energy Investment Exemption Application
- Veteran Exemption Application
- Blind Exemption Application
Internal Revenue Service
Federal tax forms are available online (click on the link below), or by calling 1-800-829-3676. They will process your order and ship it via the U.S. Postal Service when the forms become available. Per their website, most forms should be available by the end of January, 2021.
Many local Maine IRS offices are open by appointment only, although some remain closed for in-person appointments.. Click here to find the location, phone number and status of operation.
The Internal Revenue Service offers a complete listing of printable and downloadable federal tax forms, publications, and instructions.
The Internal Revenue Service website also offers other online help, including Get Your Refund Status, information on downloading the IRS2Go Mobile App, and tips on how to Choose a Tax Preparer Wisely — and more. Visit their website, as linked above, for details
Free Tax Preparation
For those who qualify, there are free tax preparation options:
- LA CA$H Coalition — This year, LA CA$H Coalition will be offering scan & go services by appointment. Appointments can be made by by calling 211 or you may schedule your appointment here. They also offer fully remote online tax assistance through the GetYourRefund app. Learn more: Lewiston/Auburn CA$H Coalition.
- AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Online Tax Assistance