Tax Forms and Information
The Auburn Public Library requests from the Internal Revenue Service individual tax forms — Form 1040 and Form 1040-SR — along with Form 1040 Instructions each year. These are now available via curbside pick up, on a first-come, first served basis, by calling the Reference Desk at 207-333-6640, ext. 4.
We no longer receive any supplemental forms and Schedules from the IRS, but they are available for downloading and printing on the IRS website (click on Forms and Publications, below). For customers who cannot access a printer, we will print individual schedules and forms for free. However, we cannot print tax Instruction booklets.
The State of Maine no longer distributes Form 1040ME, nor Instructions for same. Again, customers with no access to a printer may request us to print Form 1040ME, but we cannot print the Instructions.
The Internal Revenue Service is encouraging taxpayers to use IRS online tools if possible so that individuals may keep themselves safe as the pandemic continues.
Here are some resources to find the forms and information you need.
Maine Revenue Service
Maine state tax forms are available for download by clicking the link below; by calling the forms line at 207-626-8475 (leave your name and mailing address); or by writing to the Maine Revenue Services, P.O. Box 9107, Augusta, ME 04332-9107.
- Maine State Forms and Publications
- Unemployment and Taxes
- The Maine Department of Revenue website includes two means of electronic filing:
- I-FILE – File your State of Maine Tax return online for free with I-File. You fill out the information, and they do the calculations.
- E-File – File using a participating preparer, purchase commercial software or a commercial web site. Most of these options offer direct deposit of your refund, electronic funds withdrawal for a balance due return and even delayed debit.
- Refund Status: Check the status of your Personal Income Tax (1040) Refund
- Maine Revenue Services offers income tax credits and property tax programs, including
- Maine Property Tax Fairness Credit
- Homestead Exemption Application
- Renewable Energy Investment Exemption Application
- Veteran Exemption Application
- Blind Exemption Application
Internal Revenue Service
Federal tax forms are available online (click on the link below), or by calling 1-800-829-3676. They will process your order and ship it via the U.S. Postal Service when the forms become available. Per their website, most forms should be available by the end of January, 2021.
Due to COVID-19, most Maine IRS offices are currently closed. For updates, you can check their website or call the local offices listed below:
- South Portland office: 207-879-4683
- Augusta office: 207-480-6095
The Internal Revenue Service offers a complete listing of printable and downloadable federal tax forms, publications, and instructions.
The Internal Revenue Service website also offers other online help, including Coronavirus Tax Relief, Get Your Refund Status, information on downloading the IRS2Go Mobile App, and tips on how to Choose a Tax Preparer Wisely — and more. Visit their website, as linked above, for details
Free Tax Preparation
Due to COVID-19, the free tax preparation sites are closed but will offer virtual assistance for those who qualify:
- LA CA$H Coalition — Offers two FREE options for those who qualify: take a picture or scan your tax documents and securely send the to tax preparers on line; or Scan & Go by completing an online questionnaire, after which a volunteer will call to schedule you for a Scan & Go appointment. If you do not have a computer or smartphone, you can make an appointment to use one of our computers by calling 207-333-6640, ext. 4.
- AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Online Tax Assistance